Article 31 -Escalator Skirt Brush Requirements
Skirt brush requirements in escalator and moving walks
The escalator skirt brush is located on the skirt panel on both sides of steps on the entire route to prevent objects such as passengers’ clothing entering into the gap between the skirt and the step. There are two types of brushes: Single and double row.
Escalator Skirt Brush Requirements
The skirt brush is composed of two parts, a rigid base (Aluminum or Rubber) and a flexible brush with the standard requirements as below:
- The Skirt brush horizontal projection must be between 33 mm and 50 mm from the skirt surface.
- The projected area of the rigid base must withstand a uniform distributed force of 900N over a 600 mm2 rectangular area. The force must be applied vertically to the line of attachment of the rigid part and after the test, there must be no detachment or permanent deformation.
- The horizontal projection of rigid parts must be between 18-25 mm and the horizontal projection of the flexible brush must be between 15-30 mm.
- The vertical distance between the lower edge of the rigid part and the step nose or the pallet tread surface must be a minimum of 25mm and a maximum of 55 mm in the whole direction of movement.
- The lower surface of the rigid part must be beveled, not less than 25° upward, and the upper surface must be beveled, not less than 25° downward to the horizon from the skirt panel.
- If there is a rigid part with the straight slope of 25 degrees or more, in line with brushes, it is permitted to provide a flat surface perpendicular to the skirt with a width less than 10 mm at the top and the bottom must be less than 5 mm in width.
- If there is a rigid part with the convex slope of 25 degrees or more, it is permitted to provide a flat surface perpendicular to the skirt with a width less than 5 mm at the top and the bottom must be less than 5 mm in width, also the shape must reach an inclination of 25° at least in half of the horizontal projection of the rigid part.
- Skirt brushes must have rounded edges and the caps and joint connections of the rigid part must not enter the path of travel.
- The beginning and endpoint of the rigid part must have a distance of 50 to 150 mm with the comb intersection line and must be tapered to give a flush interface with the skirt panel.