Article 18- Escalator Covering RequirementsAccording to the standard, the truss surface must be covered on all sides and this covering should be in way that it gives the escalator an attractive appearance. For this purpose, we can use various materials such as different kinds of Stainless steel sheet, glass, composite sheets or other material based on customer taste. Also imperforated panels or walls must cover all mechanically moving parts of the escalator and moving walk except for accessible steps, pallets, the part of handrail available for users and ventilation apertures. The standards guidelines for escalator coverings are as below:
- Any gaps or openings on the covers, close to moving parts with the risk of contact must be less than 4 mm.
- Exterior panels must withstand 250 N at all points at right angle in a 2,500 mm2 round or square area without breakage.
- The fixings must be able to carry a minimum of twice the dead weight of the panels.
- The covers of mechanically moving parts can be removed in restricted areas accessible to authorized personnel only, where there is no threat to the public.
- Ventilation apertures must be constructed and arranged in such a way as to comply with EN ISO 13857:2008 standard, however a straight 10 mm rigid rod must not pass through enclosures and touch moving parts through a ventilation aperture.
- Safety devices must be provided for any exterior panels, which can be opened.
The platform surface on both landings that are installed before the comb plates are called “Floor Plate”. The floor plate is utilized as machine room covers which according to use in project installation environment and utilization can be chosen from Stainless steel or extruded aluminum. The standards guidelines for the escalator floor plates are as below:
- A safety device must be provided for the floor plates, also they must be opened only by keys or other locks.
- The floor plate has two parts or more and one safety device must be provided for the “first” plate.
- Where personnel can enter inside the machinery, the floor plate must be opened from the inside and no locks shall be considered.
- The maximum deflection of the comb plate and floor plate will not be over 4 mm and comb meshing must be ensured.
How do you rate this article?
Please Wait ...
It May Take a Few Minutes
Sign In To Your Personal Account