Article 18- Escalator Covering Requirements
Safety requirements to be considered for escalator covering
In this article we intend to explain in detail about the standard safety requirements and limitations related to escalator covering.
According to the standard all the mechanical moving parts must be enclosed by walls or Imperforated panels (without any gaps or spaces) including skirt panels, decking panels, balustrade panels, outside cladding panels, etc. This condition excludes accessible steps and pallets as well as the part of handrail which is available for users and also ventilation apertures. The standards guidelines for the escalator covering are as below:
- Any gaps or openings on the covers, close to moving parts with the risk of contact must be less than 4 millimeters.
- Exterior panels must withstand 250 N at all point at right angle in a 2.500 mm2 round or square area without breakage.
- The fixings must be able to carry a minimum of twice the dead weight of the panels.
- The covers of mechanically moving parts can be removed in restricted areas accessible to authorized personnel only, where there is no threat to the public.
- Ventilation apertures must be constructed and arranged in such a way as to comply with EN ISO 13857:2008 standard, however a straight rigid rod 10 millimeters in diameter must not pass through enclosures of ventilation aperture to touch moving parts.
- Safety devices must be provided for any exterior panels, which can be opened.
As we mentioned above, the outside surface of the truss must be covered and this cover is called “Outside Cladding”. In indoor escalators and moving walks which are installed in commercial centers or where their appearance is important, we can use various materials such as different kinds of stainless steel sheets, glass, composite sheets or other material based on customer taste for covering.